The History of Wellington Cottage Care Trust

Wellington Cottage Hospital

The foundation stone for what was then called the Bowring Memorial Cottage Hospital was laid on 24 May 1912.

The land and the money to build and equip the hospital was left in the will of Mrs Crump Bowring in memory of her husband.

The hospital was opened in May 1913.

 

It became a National Health Service Hospital in 1948.

 

Closure of the Cottage Hospital

Despite much local protest, the Cottage Hospital closed in September 1990.

A charitable trust was set up to take over the building and reopen it as a cottage hospital.

 

The Wellington & District Cottage Hospital Trust was set up in 1992.

 

Day Care Centre

In 2001, thanks to another generous bequest, the building was refurbished to become a nurse-led day care centre for adults with medical care needs and disabilities.

 

The name of the trust was changed to the Wellington Cottage Care Trust.

 

The day care centre was accredited to receive Telford & Wrekin funded guests in May 2002.

 

Anniversaries

During the week of 24 May 2012, the day care centre celebrated the Centenary of the laying of the foundation stone and the tenth anniversary of the opening of the day care centre.